Monday 1 February 2010

Greetings!

Hello everyone, Wargaming Cynic here, reporting for duty...

As the title suggests, I am a cynic who also plays wargames. Wargames such as Warhammer 40,000, Warhammer Fantasy Battle, Necromunda, Warmachine, Hordes, Confrontation (well, used to), Anima Tactics, and an increasingly large number of which I don't bother with any more (I still talk about confrontation, so it hasn't dropped off my list yet). Generally though, if it is a wargame there's a fair chance I'll have an opinion on it if I've experienced it. I may dare to discuss RPGs such as D&D, Cyberpunk etc. But don't necessarily count on it.

Obviously if you're not much interested in Wargames, I'm probably not a blogger you want to spend too much time reading.

I decided to start a blog to vent the increasing frustration I am getting with this hobby. I do so with a great amount of regret and hesitation, as the Internet is already rife enough with such vapid verbosity; although it is something I have already contributed to on a number of forums. I mostly do it because I am unlikely to matter, and because I'm starting to feel really bad about doing it on public forums. At least here, people are actively choosing to read it.

I still need a place to vent, because ultimately although I am criticising and ranting about things in popular culture, I am doing so because somewhere in my increasingly blackened heart, I still care and would like nothing better than to be happy about it. Unfortunately, that is rather unlikely. They say that there is no pleasing some people, and I could well be one of them. I started being a fervent critic of Wargames once I started writing a few of my own, and learnt how many things I utterly disagreed with.

In addition to the occasional rant, I find my favourite outlet (although one I am more finicky about) to be in the writing of background stories (fluff if you want the Internet term). Mostly when sharing on the Internet, I tend to keep it to fanfluff from Warhammer 40,000, which is my favourite wargaming fluff setting (and not much else). As a lifelong Ork fan, most of it will be from an Orky slant.

A Blogger Pal of mine has told me I can organise these blogs into groups (although I have no idea how), so I would expect mostly that I'll jump between ranting and writing fluff with such an erratic behaviour it is best to try and not attach a logic to it. Nor should anyone expect updates of any of them to be consistent. I write erratically and, especially with fluff, to the point of anal perfectionism.

The main threads to keep an eye out for are:

Obviously the main feature is The Wargaming Cynic Series, as it happens to be the title of the Blog, I've forced my hand into using it as such. It will mostly read like a cynical diary of my experiences with Wargaming, and in particular, a lot of moaning about GW (Games Workshop).

A slight subsection of the above series is The Wargaming Cynic Articles Series (usually TWC Articles for short), which will entail various articles and such I have written with the aim of usually getting a few laughs and being a little informative (preferably in that order). This section will likely separate out into named series' (such as the potential Odditsee series) once I start figuring out which ones I can be bothered to post up.

In the realm of fluff, there may be a number of one-off stories, but I have a few running stories that will develop a large story over a long time. The first is The Bloodpact Saga, a dark story about Orks, Chaos and big swords. Very exciting.

The second long running story series is Wurrgitz, otherwise known as Madboyz. The story details the lives of some rather perplexing Madboyz. I wish I entirely made the concept up, but no, GW got there first. This is not a very serious series, and will enjoy spending most of its time messing with the 40k canon in ways it really wished it didn't.

There will also be one-off stories from time to time and a fair bit of general ranting about other things. I'm going to try and keep it in popular culture, because as far as politics and religion goes, it's best not to get involved.

Thanks for reading.

TWC.

No comments:

Post a Comment